PUBLIC RELATIONS PEOPLE, DO NOT ADD ME TO YOUR FUCKING MAILING LISTS.


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bee Cheng Hiang

Isn't it weird how sometimes, you can really like a certain food item but you never actually motivate yourself to buy it? But if it's there, you can't help gobbling it up?

Pork jerky is like that for me. I love it, I eat it up whenever it's there, but I just can't be motivated to buy it on my own. I wonder if I've just become apathetic because my mom always bought it for us.

Anyway, I'd like to note that Chinese pork jerky is nothing like that disgusting dried roadkill they sell in North America. Our pork jerky is moist, tender, with a touch of sweetness and, sometimes, spiciness.

The more expensive the jerky, the more fat content it has, and the longer it's been immersed in spices (and the spices are more expensive). I don't know if this is true, but that's what I've been told. You can actually buy meat jerky at lots of different places in Hong Kong, but Bee Cheng Hiang is like the McDonald's of meat jerky. They're a pretty big franchise originating from Singapore, and their products, while not THE best, are perfectly delicious, reasonably priced and consistent.

This is the outlet in Causeway Bay, right at the giant road that is between Times Square and Sogo. This used to be a huge street food shop (RIP, sniff), the only place in Hong Kong that ever gave my ex-husband diarrhea. It wasn't really the fault of the shop. It was really late at night, and they were closing up, and they were getting ready to throw out some food that hadn't sold.

My ex-husband, being a cheap-ass Canadian-born Chinese, was all like, "NO! Don't throw it out! I'll eat it for you!"

Me: Dude...these are CHINESE PEOPLE throwing food out. I think that's a bad sign.

But the lure of free intestines, chicken legs and fried vegetables was too much and so he ate all of the food and was sick later that night.



If you click on the image, you can enlarge it to see the costs for the jerky. It's usually around HKD160 for a half kilo, I believe. The more expensive ones are double that, though.

There are a lot of pre-packaged goodies you can buy as gifts.

Hm...maybe I should get off my ass and buy some jerky. Looking at these pictures is making me crave them.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, that bakkwa is soooo good. I bought a half kilo each of the regular and spicy bakkwa from Lim Chee Guan for pasalubong. The regular one was gone in like a day (reminded them of a tastier and leaner version of tocino) while the spicy one lasted about a week (the lingering heat prevented us from wolfing it down). I also like how they seal the bags to maintain freshness for up to 2 weeks.

    I'll definitely have to try the other goodies like the medallions and the floss stuff next time around.

    Ugh. I just realized how stupid I was for not bringing you any bakkwa from SG, esp. after I asked you about it. Tanga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, it's cool. I can get it any time here, anyway. Glad you and your family enjoyed your SG purchases, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lim Chee Guan Singapore's queue is just crazy every year. But not much of a choice. Just have to queue cos they make the best bak kwa in town.

    ReplyDelete