PUBLIC RELATIONS PEOPLE, DO NOT ADD ME TO YOUR FUCKING MAILING LISTS.


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sham Shui Po Street Market

The Sham Shui Po street market was pretty much closing up by the time we arrived (around 7, I think). The Other Dude said that it's probably just a day market, and I think she's right.

We walked around a little bit, mostly in search of a good umbrella. Both the OD and I were in the market for a nice one that wasn't too expensive. Like the street market in Mong Kok (also known as Ladies' Night Market because it's open till quite late) or Temple Street in Yau Ma Tei, you can find all kinds of clothes, accessories, etc. here.



We finally stumbled on a really great umbrella shop just next to the MTR Station. Do you see those umbrellas on the middle right? That's where the shop is.

The OD spotted this camouflage-print umbrella, and we both exclaimed over its unique shape. The OD keeps calling the tip a nipple, which makes me concerned about her impression of human anatomy.


Anyway, it's UVA and UVB-proof so that you can use it to protect your skin against the nasty sunlight. Listen, I'm not one of those people that having pale skin is a sign of beauty. Your skin colour is your skin colour, and every type of skin can be beautiful if properly cared for. As for myself, I burn really easily -- I even get blisters, really scary -- and get freckles. Yes, freckles can be cute on some people, but on me, I look like a cockroach had diarrhea on my face.

Anyway, the umbrella is sturdy, with rubber tip and handle, it can be inverted and it'll still spring back without snapping any of the arms. And it only cost HKD55! Both the OD and I got an umbrella each. The only issue I have with it is that some of the arm tips get dislodged rather easily. Still, small price to pay.

To get to the street market, get off at Sham Shui Po Station, Exit B2.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to looking at parasols in Japan. My only concern is that they'll stop me for having something that "could be a weapon" (maybe I could stab someone with my umbrella!) and not let me take it back home. I really need to get on it though because I'm pretty sure Atlanta's sun is not going to be forgiving and my skin is pretty dark as it is. ><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus, will they really be that retarded at the airport? Well, there's always the portable umbrellas...Sakura makes some really cute ones, and they're also UV-proof (or whatever the term is), and they're really sturdy, too.

    ReplyDelete